2 large sweet onions, sliced into ½ inch pieces
1 quart reduced fat buttermilk
4 egg whites
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup ground cornmeal
1 cup bread crumbs
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
nonstick spray such as PAM
- At least 4 hours before you want to eat the onion rings, place the sliced onions in a plastic Ziploc bag with the buttermilk. Seal and put in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Remove onion-buttermilk mixture from refrigerator and preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, place egg whites, and set aside. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, bread-crumbs, salt, pepper and paprika. Remove each onion slice piece-by-piece, coat in bread crumb mixture, dunk in egg whites, re-coat by coating once again in the bread-crumb mixture, and then place on greased cookie sheet. Repeat with all the onion slices.
- Once the cookie sheet is full, spray the onions with the non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake the batch for 15 minutes, flip the onions, and then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Allow onions to cool, then enjoy while warm with your favorite dipping sauce!
Recipe Source: sallysbakingaddiction.com