Makes 6-8 pop tarts
1 ½ cups almond flour
1 cup gluten-free oat flour (can be made at home by combining oats in food processor)
½ cup arrowroot powder
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
honey for drizzling on top
Ingredients (for strawberry filling):
6 ounces fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped. (Can use any berry)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon orange juice
½ teaspoon arrowroot powder
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium-mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs and coconut sugar. Wisk until sugar is dissolved. Pour in melted coconut oil, and combine well, stirring quickly to prevent oil from hardening. (Can use a food processor for this)
- With a mixer or by hand, combine egg-sugar-oil mixture with flour mixture. Stir until dough forms. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients, and bring to a low boil. Let slowly boil until liquid thickens.
- Take dough out of the refrigerator, and roll out with a rolling pin into a large rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. With a butter knife, create 3×5 inch rectangles, and fill with berry filling. Top with another rectangle, press sides together, poke holes in the top, and bake on well-greased cookie sheet for 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Drizzle with honey and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from dollyandoatmeal.com