Makes 24 small tots
½ large head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
¼ cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons almond flour
½ teaspoon of your favorite all-purpose seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray
- Cut away the leaves of the cauliflower, but use most of the inner core part. Coarsely chop the cauliflower, place in a micro-wave proof bowl, cover with cling wrap, and microwave 2 minutes on high. (Microwaves can vary so you may need to experiment with the time, but the cauliflower should be just slightly soft.) Quickly take off the cling-wrap and let the steam escape, and if you see any water in the bottom of the bowl, put the cauliflower into a colander and let the water drain off.
- Put the steel blade in the food processor, add the cauliflower, and pulse until the cauliflower is finely chopped but still slightly chunky. (Be careful not to over process so you don’t end up with cauliflower puree!) If there is any water in the food processor bowl, drain the cauliflower again in the colander.
- Put finely chopped cauliflower into a bowl and add the reduced-fat sharp cheddar, coarsely grated Parmesan, almond flour, Vege-Sal or salt, Spike Seasoning (if using), and fresh-ground black pepper. Stir until ingredients are well-combined. Add the egg and stir until the ingredients are mostly coated with egg. (You might be tempted to add another egg, but don’t. You’ll be surprised how well this sticks together.)
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin pan and bake for 15 minutes. Carefully turn each cauliflower tot over in the muffin tin and bake 15 minutes more or until tots are nicely browned on both sides. Serve hot right out of the oven.
Recipe from kalynskitchen.com.