When I wake up in the morning, the first thing on my mind is breakfast. On slow mornings at home, I love spending an hour or two in the kitchen cooking. My husband jokes that the only breakfast I know how to make is a deluxe one. It’s so important to start your day with something good for you, but you also want to eat something that is going to fill you up and carry you through a work day. Meatless Monday can be a struggle if you’re worried about being hungry all the time, especially in jobs that require a lot of physical exertion. For some, adding sweet potatoes to a breakfast menu may seem a little bit strange, but trust me, it’s a game-changer. This sweet potato hash bowl will not only fill you up, but it will give you two servings of veggies first thing in the morning. It can also be made the night before and heated up, if you don’t have 20 minutes to spend grating sweet potatoes before the sun comes up (plus, I’m probably the only crazy person who thinks that sounds fun). You can make the bowl your own by adding diced avocado, mozzarella, tofu, or even spooning the hash onto an open face biscuit. Whatever way you enjoy it, the aroma of fresh rosemary wafting around your house in the morning is sure to brighten up your day.
1 to 2 sweet potatoes
1 Tbs Coconut Oil
4 Kale leaves (stems removed)
2 tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper
- Peel sweetpotoates, and grate with cheese grater on the largest slot
- Dice onion
- In large heavy skillet, on medium-high, heat oil and add onion. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add grated sweet potato, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir sweet potatoes and onions together, and let cook unstirred for 5 minutes, then flip over to cook other side.
- Repeat cooking and flipping until sweet potatoes are soft and are starting to brown on one side.
- Scoop out sweet potatoes into bowl, and add kale to skillet. Return skillet to heat and sauté until greens are wilted. (about 5 minutes)
- Once kale is soft, add to the top of the sweet potato bowl and enjoy!