For the Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
5 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon butter
5 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup milk
½ cup Parmesan cheese
For the Lasagna
10 lasagna noodles
4 cups cauliflower Alfredo sauce
5 cups frozen mixed veggies such as carrots, broccoli, peas, corn, etc, thawed and lightly sautéed
1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
2 handfuls fresh kale or spinach
3 cups mixed shredded cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, Asiago, etc.)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté the garlic with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat until the garlic is soft and fragrant.
2. Simmer the cauliflower in the vegetable broth for 7-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender. Do not drain. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cauliflower pieces to a blender or food processor, along with 1-2 cups of vegetable broth, sautéed garlic/butter, salt, pepper and milk. Blend or puree for several minutes or until very smooth.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil the lasagna noodles for a few minutes until they are just starting to soften but still stiff, and cool enough to handle.
2. Spread a spoonful of cauliflower sauce in the bottom of a 9×11 inch glass baking dish with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking. Layer lasagna noodles, sauce, vegetables, tomatoes, a good sprinkle of salt and cheese. Repeat layers 4 times or until ingredients run out. Cover top with greased foil.
3. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake uncovered for another 10-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Allow to rest before cutting and serving.
Article written by Katie Hayes and originally published in the January 2014 issue of Validity. Recipe source: www.pinchofyum.com/veggie-alfredo-lasagna