1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 lemons (zest + juice)
1 cup sugar
2 whole eggs
1/3 cup melted butter (cooled)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons half and half
For the Glaze:
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup honey
3-4 small sprigs of fresh thyme, stems discarded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest, rubbing well between your fingers. Add in juice, eggs, butter and vanilla extract.
4. In a small ramekin or bowl, stir together the ricotta and half and half until smooth.
5. To the egg-sugar mixture, add 1/2 of the dry mixture, followed by 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, and stir just to combine. Repeat one other time until all ingredients are together in one bowl.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. For the glaze, combine ingredients and whisk until smooth. With a chopstick or fork, poke holes in the cake and pour glaze over, letting it sink into the cake and over the sides.
Recipe originally featured in the May 2014 issue of Validity and slightly adapted by Katie Hayes from Simply Scratch.