Serves 1 large or 2 medium portions
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 2 tablespoon water) or 1 chicken egg
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup whole-wheat flour (all purpose works fine, too)
¼ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
For the peach compote
1 cup fresh or frozen peaches
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut sugar (brown sugar is fine)
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons water
¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Heat griddle or large skillet over medium heat, or 350 F.
- For compote, add ingredients to small saucepan, and let simmer for 15 minutes until thick, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- If using flax egg, add ground flaxseed and water and let sit for 2 minutes in order to gelatinize. Add melted butter, agave, baking soda, baking powder, salt, almond milk, vanilla and whisk well.
- Add flower to mixture above, being careful not to over mix. Carefully fold in blueberries and let better sit at rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly grease skillet, and add ¼ cup of batter per pancake. Flip when bubbles have formed.
- Stack pancakes, and top with compote.
Recipe heavily adapted by Katie Hayes from minimalistbaker.com. Originally published in the May 2014 issue of Validity.