Yields 14-16 latkes
5 cups shredded sweet potato (about 2 medium-sized)
1/3 cup buckwheat flour (all-purpose is fine, too)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon oil (I used safflower), plus more for frying
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ white onion, chopped
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped and seeded jalapeno
1 teaspoon ground cumin
sour cream and more cilantro for topping
- In a large bowl, mix together potatoes, onion, flour, cilantro and jalapeno
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper, cumin and oil. Add this mixture to the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- With your hands, form the latkes into small balls, about ¼ cup each. Pack mixture with your hands, and place 3-4 in the pan. Press down with a spatula.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Top with cilantro and sour cream if desired.
Recipe heavily adapted by Katie Hayes from edibleperspective.com. Originally featured in the May 2014 issue of Validity.