The first date my husband and I went on was to a local pizzeria, so serving pizza at our wedding seemed very fitting. Not to mention, who doesn’t like pizza? We knew this would be a hit, and after taste testing, we went with a few classic varieties and also a mushroom pizza inspired by that very first date!
Our Favorite No-Rise Mushroom Pizza (inspired by the “Fun Guy” pizza at Rock’n’Dough Pizza in Jackson, TN)
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
1 cup hot water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
2 ¾ whole wheat flour
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sea salt
dried italian herbs (optional)
1 cup red pizza sauce
1 cup sliced portabella mushrooms
1 cup sliced white mushrooms
1 cup shredded fontina cheese
1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk water, sugar, oil and yeast in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes until liquid becomes foamy.
- Combine flour, parmesan cheese, sea salt and italian herbs if you choose. Pour water-yeast mixture into flour bowl and mix. If you have a stand mixer, use the dough hook for 10 minutes on low-medium speed. Otherwise, dump the dough onto a floured workspace and knead for 10 minutes. Spread out on oiled pizza stone or pan.
- Begin by spreading the red sauce over the pizza, and top with the remaining toppings. Be generous on the cheese-it makes it better!
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is beginning to brown on the bottom and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Whole-Wheat pizza dough recipe source: cookieandkate.com