1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch chunks
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup cornstarch
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon oil (I used coconut)
Ingredients for sweet and sour sauce:
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
½ tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray or oil.
- To make the sauce, whisk together all ingredients and set aside.
- In large bowl, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Pour cornstarch over chicken, and stir to ensure all is coated.
- In a separate medium bowl, place egg whites. One-by-one, dip cornstarch-coated chicken into eggs.
- Heat tablespoon of oil in large pan over medium heat on the stove, and transfer chicken to “fry” chicken until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add “fried” chicken to the 9×13 baking dish, coat with sweet and sour sauce, and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until chicken is crispy and sauce has thickened. Turn every 15 minutes to avoid burning.
- Serve over rice.
Recipe adapted from damndelicious.net